Friday, April 1, 2011

Volunteer Day 04: Transfer? (And a ghetto hospital)

Sadly I missed what would have officially been my fourth day at my hospital, I was bummed out by the turn of events, but found it to be unavoidable (read: extreme migraine headache with nausea and light sensitivity), and I opted to stay home in bed and sleep almost all day (bummer).


Anyways, this past Monday when I showed up to do my weekly shift I was fresh off of one of my overnight shifts at Shitty LLC., maternity was absolutely dead; I only saw three babies, two had come in right after I arrived, the third showing up a few hours later. Needless to say I was bored out of my skull, I always find maternity to be a little dull and lacking in the energy department, but this was insane. I cannot begin to express how bad it was after being up all night, I almost fell asleep several times, and stared at the walls for what seemed like forever. Finally, at about 1130, I got up and went to go assemble chart packets for L&D, I only got about eight done, but had about half of another thirty-two done before I left at 1330.



This was honestly probably my worst day in maternity, it really made me realize that I don't really enjoy being up there at all. I want to feel like I'm actually doing something other than staring at a wall for probably thirty minutes straight; so on Monday morning when I go back in I think I'm going to speak to Mrs. HVS about maybe transferring to the ED, maybe it will be a little bit more lively for us volunteers and I wont be tempted to fall asleep during my shift. Oh, and I'll probably need to drag along a big can of sugar free Redbull, you know, just in case.




As for the ghetto hospital I mentioned, Wednesday I had a volunteer interview at the local teaching hospital. First let me start off by saying that a few summers ago I spent a great deal of time at their Gainesville branch. It's one of the things that helped me realize I really, really, really wanted to be a doctor; it made me feel safe, content, and at peace whilst in its walls. Sadly this branch made me feel the exact opposite; I felt lost, discombobulated, and extremely unsafe. This is the first hospital I have EVER been in that had metal detecters at the entry points for the ED, and several other wings. While the main lobby is an impressive area the further you go into the actual hospital the more run down it gets. I should state that I'm not really surprised that the hospital isn't in the best of conditions; it's extremely old, and not in the best of locations (actually I think I saw a hooker at the gas station across the street, I'm really not joking), but I figured where it was affiliated with a large state university they'd attempt to at least keep it up if for no other reason than the reputation of the school. I was wrong. The HVS did a quick interview and handed me a stack of forms to return, and explained the 'perks' of volunteering there; free parking and a voucher for a free meal. After thinking about it on the drive home I don't think I'll be returning the forms. No matter how badly I need the hours, and enjoy helping people; it just wasn't the facility for me when all is said and done.


Although it did make me realize how much I love the hospital I volunteer at, and actually enjoy being there, and let's not forget the confidence it gives me. I think I'm one pretty lucky volunteer all in all (even if I don't get a free lunch, oh well).


*No pictures today, I was lame and forgot my cell phone Monday. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment