Monday, March 14, 2011

Volunteer Day 03: Women's Services

The view at my 'desk'.


Today was my third day up in Women's Services (also 4 North, The Nursery, or L&D depending on where I get put that day), instead of watching the entrance/exit, and answering calls for the four hours they had me I was actually putting together charting packets. Once I got a system down it actually wasn't all that bad, and made the time go by so quickly.

I actually had two sets that I had to do, one for the nursery and another for L&D; I actually had no idea that the unit clerks actually had to put together all these packets, it's pretty time consuming when you're only doing that, I couldn't imagine doing that, answering the phone, letting people in and out, answering questions for visitors and working on minor parts of each chart-- I'd probably go nuts considering the sheer amount of space and time it actually takes up. Other than that there wasn't much I had to do, I did stock the snack fridges when I first got there, no biggie there.


I won't lie, I did check out one of the neonatal doctors most of my shift, well when he'd walk by me... Oh and I may have snuck a few glances at one of the male family medicine students that was doing rotations, super cute. Not that anyone cares about that.


Anyways, once I have my M.D./D.O. I hope I remember how hard everyone, including the volunteers, below me works, and that I need to respect them. I think that's what the one nurse I see at work all the time was telling me, and I finally get it... Although the nurse that ignored my paging to get out will not get respect, that was just rude.

But all and all, it was pretty good day at my hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment