Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Beginning

There was never a moment where I suddenly realized that I wanted to become a doctor, it seems that it was almost always right beneath the surface waiting to be slowly noticed. I didn't play dress up or doctor as a small child, or attempt  to dissect anything. I was a normal kid that wanted to be a marine biologist until I was around the age of nine. At nine, my mom and I started watching a show called Autopsy with a genius forensic pathologist named Dr. Baden. The show captured my attention and kept me interested for hours. From there I started reading my mother's nursing books, trying to allow my young mind to understand what the pages were telling me. I was in love. It still hadn't dawned on me that I actually wanted to be a doctor or anything close to it for several years.



At sixteen ideas of leaving America and hard truths had me rethinking my dreams of being a marine biologist, let's be honest, there isn't much you can do with a degree like that in a small village in Wales. Marine biology gave way to the forensics that had interested me in my youth. Something seemed to click for me and as the idea grew in my head I began to look at other specializations; Obstetrics/Gynecology and Pediatric Oncology being two of my major interests. I put it aside not really looking into schooling for so many idiotic reasons. I allowed circumstances and bad choices to put off my schooling; this is definitely something I will always regret. 



At twenty-four I've decided enough is enough, and have decided to start my journey in obtaining my M.D./D.O.. My first step is dual majoring in practical nursing and biology; and volunteering my ass off. 



This blog is going to follow my journey from start to finish, I hope you enjoy the ride.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! You can do it! I love the name of your blog...aren't we ALL pretend doctors? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thank you! I love your blog as well!

    I'm of the opinion that, that is the reason it's called practicing medicine.:)

    ReplyDelete